Sunday, December 29, 2013

Handmade Holiday

Handmade gifts are the best. They are also extremely time consuming and tons to work! Each year I try to make at least one gift by hand, this year I had time to make a few more:

The only christmas card I made this year - thanks to Lydia Nieuwenkamp's pronto plate workshop!

 H A N D  C R E A M 

My pal Melanie and I took on the challenge of making hand cream this holiday season and I'm happy to report that it was more successful than the time we made infused cooking oil. We ended up with two kinds of lotion: a tea tree hand salve and a lavender night cream.  The main ingredients for both were coconut oil, almond oil, beeswax and various essential oils.  I even drew up some nifty labels! 

Handmade hand salve 
Handmade lavender night cream
Gift set!
We even had time to sit by the fire when the hard work was over!


 S C R E E N P R I N T E D  T E A  T O W E L S

I've wanted to print tea towels for a while now and decided it was now or never. It was surprisingly difficult, mainly because my screen was slightly too small for the design which caused a few printing problems.  Sewing is also a bit of a challenge, especially when all I have is a 1950's Singer machine!  I also underestimated the amount of fabric I needed and ended up with only six towels.

 I drew out a design on vellum using a brush & ink
Measuring & cutting the fabric proved to be quite challenging... 
Weird plant/rock design




































UFO's!

UFO's (detail)

K I T T Y  C O N S T E L L A T I O N  P A I N T I N G 

My dad likes cats and stars, in fact he has two cats and his very own telescope.  For those reasons, I decided to make a painting to reflect both of these interests.  I first looked into whether a cat constellation actually exists and to my surprise it does, or rather, did. It was created by french astronomer, Jerome Lalande in 1799 but is now obsolete. I had trouble finding the correct star pattern, so I took some liberties and created my own!

'Felis' - gouache on paper


Luckily the days are getting longer and spring is a mere 5 months away, but sometimes making stuff helps with those winter doldrums.

No comments: